SNRE Admissions FAQ

Thank you for your interest in SNRE's graduate programs! Here are some of our most commonly asked admissions questions. We hope this information helps you through your application process.

What kinds of programs do you offer?

SNRE offers two master's programs: a Master of Science (MS) in Natural Resources and Environment and a Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA). MS students can choose a concentration in one or more of six different fields of study. Our MLA program has a two-year track for those who hold a bachelor's degree in landscape architecture and a three-year track for those who do not.

We offer two degrees within our PhD program: a doctorate in Natural Resources and Environment (NRE) and a doctorate in Landscape Architecture. Applicants for the NRE PhD program may chose either Resource Policy and Behavior (social focus) or Resource Ecology Management (ecology focus). Our doctoral programs are small and highly selective. We typically admit an incoming doctoral cohort of six to eight students each fall.

What are your GPA and GRE requirements?

We generally recommend, based on an average of past admitted students, a GPA of 3.5 (on 4.0 scale). GRE scores should be less than five years old. International students must have at least an iTOEFL score of 84 to apply, but we recommend a 102 or higher to be more competitive.

Are there prerequisites to apply?

We do not have any standard prequisites to apply to our master's programs. Both the MS and MLA programs have core curriculum coursework to provide you with a baseline of both natural and social systems. More than 100 different undergraduate degree majors are represented in our student community, making the student classroom experience diverse and vibrant. Generally it is preferred that an applicant have some kind of hard science or ecology coursework in their background if they are applying to the more ecology focused concentrations in our MS program.

To apply for the PhD in Landscape Architecture, you must hold a professional degree in landscape architecture or be concurrently earning an MLA at the University of Michigan.

Can I choose two fields of study (concentrations)?

Yes. You can outline your interest in a second field of study in the statement of purpose you submit with your MS application, or you can add an additional field of study after you begin the program.

What kinds of jobs do SNRE graduates get?

Every year our Career Services staff surveys each graduating class, about six months after graduation, to see if they are working, gauge average salary info, and to know which organizations are hiring SNRE grads. You can find those job placement stats here.

Can you tell me more about the master's project?

Master's projects are interdisciplinary problem-solving experiences conducted by groups of master's students as the capstone of their SNRE program. Projects provide students with a team experience that approximates a future work environment while also serving client organizations with solutions to complex environmental issues and useful products. These projects focus the substantial capabilities of our students and faculty on problems faced by real-world clients. Although most students choose to complete a master's project as their capstone, there are also thesis and practicum options.

What kind of financial aid is available?

Prospective students who would like to be considered for merit-based financial awards during the admission review process must submit a complete application by January 5, 2016, for the 2016-2017 academic year. If you are chosen for incoming student awards, the amount will be stated in your admission decision letter. If you received a decision letter stating that you have been admitted with no award amount stated, you were offered admission only and not an incoming student award. Financial aid is also available in the form of loans, work study, and more. All questions regarding student loans or the FAFSA should be directed to the general Financial Aid Office at the University of Michigan.

Can I complete a dual degree?

Yes. The School of Natural Resources and Environment encourages dual degrees. In general, any dual-degree program eliminates one to two semesters' worth of credits. There are two types of dual-degree programs: formal and self-initiated. Formal dual-degree programs have a set curriculum, while self-initiated ones are created by students in cooperation with almost any department on campus. In a self-initiated dual-degree program, the Rackham Graduate School will allow a student to double count up to one-sixth of their total credits, as long as the requirements of each program are met. If you would like to be a dual-degree student, you must submit a separate application and supporting documents to both graduate programs. Each department has its own admissions processes and criteria and does not use input from other departments during the admissions decision-making process.