On average, 75% of our graduate students receive some type of funding during their educational careers at the University of Michigan, ranging from $100 to full support. Your application to our school also serves as your application to our departmental awards. These are competitive, merit-based awards. SNRE supports about fifty students per year via GSI/GSRA appointments, and another sixty students find GSI/GSRA positions within other departments at the University each year.
Tuition: The University's Office of Financial Aid (OFA) publishes information on cost of attendance. All FAFSA materials are submitted and reviewed at the U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA). OFA creates your U-M financial aid package, and posts your aid on your student account as seen through WolverineAccess. When contacting OFA, you may request to speak to the SNRE liaisons. The U-M Student Financial Operations office manages the student account and billing operations.
SNRE students have been successful in obtaining external funding. In recent years, U-M awards received by SNRE students have included fellowships from the Center for the Education of Women, Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS), and Rackham. SNRE students have also successfully competed for National Science Foundation-Graduate Research fellowships (NSF-GRFP) and Environmental Protection Agency-Science to Achieve Results fellowships (EPA-Star).
Below is a list to assist you in identifying funding sources to pursue. You may also contact Diana Woodworth for any additional assistance you may need.
- Student Funding Database: fellowship and grant opportunities - accessible by any current graduate student and alumni (UM uniqname and Kerberos password required).
- Financial Aid FAQ
- Graduate Student Assistant (GSA) positions (GSI, GSSA, GSRA)
- Federal Loans and Work-study
- International Students
- Funds for SNRE student groups
- Funds for SNRE Student Alumni Engagement (SAEF)
- Travel Funding Opportunities
- Forms related to SNRE Student Funding
Links to Additional U-M Funding Resources
Current students may also want to refer to these resources periodically for updates on funding opportunities:
- Office of Financial Aid (OFA)
- Rackham Graduate School Office of Fellowships and Recruitment
- GSI/GSSA Job Postings
- Student Employment
- International Institute
- Center for the Education of Women (CEW)
- University of Michigan libraries
- Division for Research Development and Administration (DRDA)
- International Center
- Office of Academic Programs (OAP) at Natural Resources and Environment
Additional Financial Aid Search Engines