U-M School of Natural Resources and Environment Graduate Career Fair
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Dana Building - Ford Commons (Main Level) - Ann Arbor, MI
*This event is for University of Michigan students and alumni*
The University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment (SNRE) is one of the nation's top graduate programs in the natural resources and environmental fields. Employers from around the country will have an opportunity to discuss career opportunities with SNRE's Masters and PhD students at our annual career fair. There is no fee for employers to participate in SNRE's Career Fair and lunch will be provided to recruiters!
Career Fair: Facts at a Glance
- Employer Registration
- Student Registration
- Why Recruit SNRE Students
- Employers Attending
- Airport Shuttle
- Registration Deadline: Saturday January 3, 2015
- Can't make it in person? Sign-up (see link above) for a one hour virtual meeting with students during the fair. Or email us at email@example.com to chat about setting up an employer information session with students after the event.
- Jobs and internships should be suitable for graduate students (Master's and PhDs) in the fields listed below. SNRE does not have undergraduate students in our program
- You will need to email any job postings to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (or attach them with your registration) with a subject line of "Job Posting for SNRE Career Fair." We will encourage students to apply online in advance of the career fair.
- A limited number of on campus interview rooms are available on the day of the career fair. Please email email@example.com to reserve a room (preference given to out of town employers).
- 11:30AM-1:00PM - Material drop off, Recruiter sign-in, booth set-up, and lunch
- 1:00-4:00PM - Expo portion of career fair
An open-air walk-through format, the career fair will be held in the Ford Commons on the main floor of SNRE.
Please plan 20 minutes extra for parking and walking over (it's about 5 blocks from the Forest Street parking structure to SNRE, aka the Dana Building).
If you have large or heavy items, you can drop off materials at the Dana Building first and then park but parking services is quick to ticket so it must be a fast drop-off and someone must remain in your vehicle at all times. We'll have staff there between 11:30am-1pm to take your materials inside to your table for you.
What we will provide
Each organization will be provided with a 4.5 x 1 foot table, table cover, 2 chairs, boxed lunch for up to 2 recruiters. Please note that our venue is quite small and intimate.
What to bring
- A rolling suitcase to cart your materials (5 block walk)
- Organizational signage (we will print out small signs for each organization but feel free to bring other signage if you wish--keep in mind the small and narrow table size)
- Copies of any open positions (50-75 copies)
- Brochures on your organization (50-75 copies)
- Laptop if you want to show any videos, etc.--please let us know if you need internet access as this will need to be pre-arranged
- Copies of student resumes you've collected (if you've posted positions online with us)
Can Employers Participate if they are NOT Currently Hiring?
Employers that are not currently hiring are also welcome to participate (as many of our students are also interested in networking and learning about organizations that may interest them for future opportunities), but preference will be given to employers who are actively recruiting for internships or full-time positions.
Can I send materials for distribution at the fair (if I cannot attend) or Can I send my materials ahead of time?
YES! Please send materials for receipt before noon on Monday, January 19, 2015, to:
SNRE Career Fair, U-M School of Natural Resources and Environment, 440 Church Street, Room 1520 Dana Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1041. Phone: 734-764-6453.
Learn More About Our Graduate Students
- SNRE has ~450 graduate students (Master's and PhD)--many that have some professional experience prior to starting our program.
- Our students gain a strong interdisciplinary education along with hands-on experience in interdisciplinary project teams which enables them to work effectively across the science, policy, education, and social realms.
- Our graduates are sought after by employers from all sectors for their expertise, leadership, experience, and ability to work across multiple disciplines.
- Over 1/3 of our students are pursuing dual Master's degrees (MS or MLA with Business, Law, Engineering, Economics, Urban Planning, Public Policy, Public Health).
Hiring International MS Students at SNRE: Did You Know that they are Authorized to Work in the U.S. for up to 29 Months after Graduation?
- Some employers may have reservations about hiring international students because the visa process may seem complex to navigate. Here is some information to help you understand the process.
- Generally, upon graduation, students are eligible to work in the United States for 12 months under what is called Optional Practical Training (OPT). In 2010, the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency extended the period of OPT by an additional 17 months for F-1 Nonimmigrant Students with degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
- This means that international students graduating with a Science degree in Environmental Studies are authorized to work in the United States for 29 months after graduation. Click here for the full STEM-Designated Degree Program List. SNRE MS students fall under the 03.0101 CIP Code.
- Behavior, Education and Communication (using communication and education to increase environmentally sustainable behaviors and promoting nature to affect positive health outcomes)
- Conservation Ecology
- Environmental Informatics: GIS and Modeling
- Environmental Justice
- Environmental Policy and Planning
- Landscape Architecture (design and planning of sustainable landscapes)
- Sustainable Systems (greening corporations/industries, life-cycle analysis, carbon markets, etc.)
Maps to Campus & School of Natural Resources and Environment:
Central Campus Map
Find "Dana Natural Resources Bldg" in center of map (south of Dental School)
Google Map of 440 Church Street, Ann Arbor, MI
Look for "Dana Natural Resources Building" (K-5) just east of the big block "M" (center of map). The closest visitor parking is available at the Forest Avenue Parking Structure (M-8) on Forest, near South University. It's about a 5-block walk to the DanaBuilding.Cost: $1.20/hour.
Within walking distance to SNRE:
- Inn at the Michigan League (walking distance to SNRE)
- Bell Tower Hotel (walking distance to SNRE)
- Campus Inn (walking distance to SNRE)
- U-M Business School Executive Residence (walking distance to SNRE, 734-764-7677)
- Off-Campus Lodging
- Search Ann Arbor Accomodations
Shuttle from Detroit Metro Airport to Ann Arbor:
Air Ride (Public Transit to/from Detroit Metro Airport)
$12/ one way (with reservation) or $15/ one way (walk-on)
Ann Arbor Airport Shuttle
$32 or $37/ one way ($32 for Ann Arbor to airport, $37 for airport to Ann Arbor)
Airport Car Service (executive ground transportation service)
$55/hour (2 hour minimum)
Please check with vendors for their current rates and fees.
For additional information or assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (734) 764-6453.
Thanks! Lisa Yee-Litzenberg and Michelle Burdick (Career Services Staff)
- Students will need to log into eRecruiter (click on logo below), click on EVENTS tab/ WORKSHOPS subtab, find the Career Fair and click on RSVP.
- SNRE Students: RSVP for the Career Fair by clicking on the eRecruiter icon above.
- Should I Participate Even If I am Not Currently Seeking a Job or Internship? YES! The career fair is your opportunity to develop critical professional networking connections and to learn about employers that may interest you in the future.
- Students should apply for positions on eRecruiter in advance of the career fair.
- Students are expected to bring copies of their resume to the career fair. If you would like your resume to be reviewed by SNRE Career Services before the career fair, please send it to email@example.com.
- Learn more about how to prepare for the career fair. See our Top Career Fair Tips