First field day held at Saginaw Forest, led by Filibert Roth 1906

SNRE: A Historical Overview - the first 100 years

1903: Department of Forestry, one of the first of its kind, established in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. Filibert Roth chairs department from 1903-1923.

1904: First Master of Science in Forestry degrees conferred.

1906: First campfire held at Saginaw Forest.

1908: First instruction in landscape design by O.C. Simonds of Chicago.

1915: University acquires Eberwhite Woods, 42 acres on Liberty Road, used by the Forestry, Botany, and Zoology Departments until 1945.

Samuel T. Dana
Samuel T. Dana

1927: The Department of Forestry evolves into the School of Forestry and Conservation, the first of its kind in the country, 10 faculty and 25 students. Samuel T. Dana is appointed professor and dean, serving from 1927-51.

1929: Camp Filibert Roth, the School's first forestry camp, opens in Alger county near Munising, Mich.

1930: School of Forestry and Conservation confers first Ph.D. degrees.

1935: Forestry camp moves to permanent site at Golden Lake in the Ottawa National Forest.

1936: First Paul Bunyan Ball takes place.

1939: Department of Landscape Design transferred to the College of Architecture and renamed the Department of Landscape Architecture.

1947: New curriculum policy requires students to obtain 60 semester hours in non-forestry subjects to avoid narrow specialization.

1949: School receives a 10-year grant from the Charles Lanthrop Pack Forestry Foundation to strengthen its conservation education.

1950: Name of School changes to School of Natural Resources.

1951: School confers first Master in Wildlife Management and Master of Science in Conservation degrees.

1952: School confers first Master of Science in Fisheries degree.

1955: Forest Science, a journal of research and technical papers, begins publication.

1961: Remodeling of the West Medical Building completed.  Building is renamed Natural Resources Building and the School moves in, uniting all departments under one roof.

1965: Administration of landscape design transfers from School of Architecture and Design to School of Natural Resources.

1966: Interdisciplinary programs in Remote Sensing begin with a collaboration with the Institute of Science and Technology, and continue to the present.

1970: Students and faculty lead organization of first Earth Day.

1971: Reorganization of the School results in new environmental communications courses.

1973: Regents name Natural Resources Building the Samuel Trask Dana Building. 

1981: Wildlands Management Center is established within the School, linked with several countries and international organizations addressing global concerns.

1983: The School establishes three concentrations: Resource Ecology and Management (REM), Resource Policy and Behavior (RPB) and Landscape Architecture (LA).

1983-88: School receives major, multi-year grant from the Hewlett Foundation to underwrite the transition and redesign of the School's integrative interdisciplinary curriculum and research.

1986: Microcomputer laboratory is installed in the basement of the Dana Building.

1988: The School's field training site moves to U-M Biological Station.

1990-95: The School's capacities expand with a $5 million renovation of its laboratories and the creation of landscape architecture studios in the Dana Building.

1992: The School adds the word "Environment" to its name to better reflect its range of activities.

1993: The School establishes its Geographic Information System laboratory for research and instruction in partnership with the University's Information Technology Division.

1994: Completion of renovations on Dana Building's third floor facility for landscape architecture studios, computer lab, classrooms and related facilities. 

1992-95: The School provides leadership in numerous cross-campus environmental initiatives and grants.

1995-96: Frederick Erb funds the Corporate Environmental Management Program (CEMP) and the Erb Environmental Management Institute, both joint ventures between SNRE and the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University.

1998: SNRE is one of three schools in the nation chosen by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to receive funding for its masters' students.

1998: Phase I of the comprehensive Dana building renovation begins.

1999: Environmental Justice graduate specialization offered.

1999: The Center Sustainable Systems (CSS) is established as an evolution of the National Pollution Prevention Center (NPPC).

2000: Ecosystem Management Initiative (EMI) begins.

2001: The Program in the Environment (PitE) becomes the School's new undergraduate degree program with U-M's College of Literature, Science & the Arts.

2001: Phase II of the Dana building renovation begins.

2002: SNRE develops four new research themes: Great Lakes; Global Change; Ecosystem Management and Conservation Biology; Sustainable Production and Consumption.

2002: Michigan Sea Grant and the Cooperative Institute for Limnology and Ecosystems Research (CILER) programs become part of SNRE.

2003: Phase II of the Dana building renovation is completed.

2003: The Minority Environmental Leadership Development Initiative (MELDI) begins.

2003: SNRE celebrates 100 years of environmental leadership.

2004: Dana Renovation receives Gold LEED Rating from US Green Building Council.

2005: School begins offering three core courses to all incoming master's students.

2006: Nine Fields of Study established.

2007: Fully-funded Ph.D. program established.

2007: SNRE hosts first National Summit on Coping with Climate Change.

2007: Wyss Fellows program established.

2007: Peace Corps Fellows/USA program established.

2008: Engineering Sustainable Systems, a dual-degree program with the U-M College of Engineering, begins.

2008-09: Dean Bierbaum asked to co-lead World Bank World Development Report on Climate Change. Professor David Allan named acting dean.

2009: 100th anniversary of the Landscape Architecture program.